Cook 4 Me
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Servings: 6 • Size: 1/2 cup chicken + veggies • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pt
Calories: 147.7 • Fat: 0.1 g • Carb: 5.2 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Protein: 24.9 g • Sugar: 1.7 g
Sodium: 879 mg
For the chicken:
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (I used Frank’s)
For the wraps:
- 6 large lettuce leaves, Bibb or Iceberg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 large celery stalks, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
In a crock pot, combine chicken, onions, celery stalk, garlic and broth (enough to cover your chicken, use water if the can of broth isn’t enough). Cover and cook on high 4 hours.
Remove the chicken from pot, reserve 1/2 cup broth and discard the rest. Shred the chicken with two forks, return to the slow cooker with the 1/2 cup broth and the hot sauce and set to on high for an additional 30 minutes. Makes 3 cups chicken.
To prepare lettuce cups, place 1/2 cup buffalo chicken in each leaf, top with 1/4 cup shredded carrots, celery and dressing of your choice. Wrap up and start eating!
Source: Skinny Taste
Crunchy Apple Slaw
Yield: 8-10 servings
1/2 cup salad dressing (such as Miracle Whip)
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 green cabbage, shredded
1 red apple (Braeburn preferred), unpeeled and diced
1 green apple (Granny Smith preferred), unpeeled and diced
1 Tablespoons chopped green onions
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Mix together the salad dressing, sugars, vinegar and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Cover and chill before serving.
Source: Pennies On A Platter
Whiskey, Wine & Mushroom Pasta
24 ounces, weight Thickly Sliced Mushrooms (baby Portobellos Are Best)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 whole Large Onion, Peeled And Sliced
1 cup Dry White Wine
¾ cups Whiskey (Jack Daniels Is Good)
½ cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Heavy Cream
Salt And Pepper, to taste
12 ounces, weight Mostaciolli, Cooked Al Dente
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle mushrooms with a little olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat additional olive oil along with the butter over medium heat. Throw in the sliced onions and saute for a couple of minutes, or until beginning to turn translucent. Pour in wine and whiskey and allow to bubble for a minute or two. Pour in broth and allow the liquid to reduce for a couple of minutes. Stir in cream and reduce heat to low. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and simmer until sauce thickens.
Toss in cooked pasta, using a little hot pasta water if sauce needs a little thinning. Taste for seasonings and add immediately.
Source: The Pioneer Woman
Cheesy Quinoa Mac & Cheese
Serving Size: 8
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
Veggies of your choice (optional)
good pinch of salt
a few grinds of seasoning salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 cup soy milk or non-fat milk
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling
Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions
Lightly saute any veggies you would like in this dish.
Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked. (About 15 minutes)
Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13x9 inch dish( or 8 individual ramekins) with cooking spray.Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. Transfer to prepared baking dish and if using Panko Crumbs or Bread crumbs add now and bake 30-35 mins, until bread crumbs are browned.
Cook cheese tortellini as directed on package.
Toss with spinach, parmesan cheese, cherry tomatoes, sliced black olives, and a prepared Italian dressing.
Quick and Easy Baked Chicken Flautas
2 cups roasted chicken, shredded
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 poblano, seeded and diced
1 ear yellow corn, kernels and milk removed from husk
1/3 cup prepared salsa
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
6 8 inch flour tortillas
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place chicken into a mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Pour oil into a medium sauté pan and place over medium-high heat.
4. Saute onion, poblano and corn for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Pour onion mixture over chicken and toss together. Add remaining filling ingredients to chicken and onion mixture and stir together until mixed together. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Place a heaping 1/3 cup of the filling into one of the tortillas and spread into a log.
7. Tightly roll tortilla and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down.
8. Repeat until all of the tortillas and filling have been used.
9. Bake flautas for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tortillas have crisped up and turned golden brown. Slice each in half and serve with sour cream.
Source: Spoon Fork Bacon
Classic Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cups shredded mild cheddar (I use Tillamook)
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
3-4 cups cooked white rice
1/2 cup sour cream
Additional salt and pepper to taste
1. Place oil in large dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add onion, celery and carrots, stirring and cooking for about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Once veggies are tender, reduce heat to low.
2. In a separate large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Slowly whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until thick and bubbly. Slowly whisk in 32 ounces chicken broth. Increase heat slightly and keep whisking until broth gets thick and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Once thick, reduce heat to low and add cheese, stirring until smooth then add hot sauce. Add cheese sauce to veggies then add cooked chicken and rice. Add remaining 16 ounces of chicken broth and sour cream to soup, stirring to combine. According to your preference you may want to add more broth or milk for a thinner soup. Stir, taste and season with additional salt and pepper according to your liking. Reduce heat to low and serve!
Makes 8 servings
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2/3 cup brown sugar
6 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
½ cup peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
¾ cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375°. Line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, peanut butter, eggs and milk until smooth. Add in the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin tins, filling each to the top.
Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Annie’s Eats, originally adapted from Baking Bites
Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf
For the Loaf:
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed
For the Lemon Syrup:
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of one 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, and fold them very gently into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing loaf to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
- While the loaf is cooling, make the lemon syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once dissolved, continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf. Brush the top and sides of the loaf with the lemon syrup. Let the syrup soak into the cake and brush again. Let the cake cool completely.
- To make the lemon glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the lemon juice. The mixture should be thick but pourable. Add up to another tablespoon of lemon juice if the mixture is too stiff. Pour the lemon glaze over the top of each loaf and let it drip down the sides. Let the lemon glaze harden, about 15 minutes, before serving.
Yields: 1-9x5 loaf
- This recipe will also yield about 12 standard muffins or 36 miniature muffins, baking time adjusted.
- It could be doubled and baked in a well-greased and floured bundt pan, baking time adjusted.
- This recipe could also be baked in an 8-inch square or 9-inch round, to create a thin cake (approx. 1 1/2 inches tall), baking time adjusted.
Source: Sweet Pea’s Kitchen, adapted from Smitten Kitchen, originally adapted from Ina Garten
Zesty Italian Potatoes
- Cube red potatoes, with skin.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Coat with a package of zesty Italian dressing,mix.
- Add minced onion, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.